Project-Based (Connections: Past and Present)

Reflection:

This was the culmination of our unit titled, “Connections: Past and Present.”  The title, “Back to the Future” sought to encourage students to meet the two objectives:

• Identify what changed and why 
    • Identify how the object might change in the future

All in all, I was extremely pleased with how students performed and the entire project was completed during virtual learning (COVID-19).  We, as a team, already are very aware of how limiting our standards-based approach can be.  This being said, it was especially rewarding to observe how dedicated students were at each step of the process.  Chris’s video above is but one representation of this. He demonstrates a high-degree of professionalism in  presenting and the virtual model he created clearly exhibits pride.  Though creativity is on the rubric (see below), it is not something we assess (yet!).  Rather it is a school attribute and we are beginning to consider how we might more routinely web school attributes into our project work.

Back to the Future: Summative Project

RUBRIC

Learning Goal Beginning Approaching Meeting Advanced
Interdependence

Understands that studying the past helps us understand how the world has changed and how it might change in the future 

(Future Product & Flipgrid Presentation)

I can identify how my object changed through time and how it might change in the future at a limited level. I can partially identify how my object changed through time and how it might change in the future. I can proficiently identify how my object changed through time and how it might change in the future. I can identify how my object changed through time and how it might change in the future at a sophisticated level.
ISB Attribute

(Creativity)

Develops new and imaginative ideas that have impact

(Future Product & 

Flipgrid Presentation)

I explore new ideas and use limited imagination

in my future product and Flipgrid presentation.

I explore new ideas and use some imagination

I explore new ideas and use my imagination

I explore new ideas and use huge amounts imagination

Invitation to Parents:

Dear Parents of 7th Graders~
Thank you to so many parents for your responses. I have been experiencing a few problems with my e-mail and am unsure if this went out to all the parents on my bcc’ list. I apologize if it is a repeat message. If so, please just delete. Again, thank you for your support!
We hope you and your families are well.  In an effort to connect school, home and learning we are hopeful you might celebrate with us.  You may remember an email (video) a few weeks ago where we shared the Back to the Future project.  Students worked hard, and there are many shining examples of excellence where the ISB attribute of creativity is showcased. We invite you to watch your son/daughter’s presentation and maybe several other student presentations.  Students nominated the following as “must see” videos.  (Kris PornsirikulLinzi DurandtLogan Major Brooke WaltherVeronica PakTam Suteesopon). However, there are SO MANY fantastic videos and we hope you’ll see them.  Below are the links to access the presentations.
Thank you for taking time to read this and also for watching the videos. If you have something positive to say, please feel free to leave a short video response on the student’s video.  You can click on an icon that looks like this:
image.png
We’re sure students would really appreciate your kind and encouraging feedback.  Thank you so much for your continued support!
Kindly,
Matt Piercy
——————————————
One parent’s response:

Dear Mr Piercy,

Yesterday we watched a few videos and we were impressed with the ability of the students to deliver a presentation. It was also a moment to reward __________ and to discuss his work and _________’s one (both chose the glasses) to look for improvements that he could have done. It was a really nice, positive and constructive discussion.
Kind regards,
Daniela